Sunday, August 17, 2008

Plum Tart

We joined an organic veggie and fruit co-op this summer. Every Tuesday Rex and I drive to a relatively nearby park to pick-up our share of the week's produce. Usually we bring home some tasty greens, squash, peppers, cucumbers, green beans and tomatoes. We have also been treated to eggplant, Japanese turnip and hearty greens such as collards. The fruit share gets more and more tasty each week. The first few weeks provided us with blueberries and strawberries, but the past couple of weeks brought plums, peaches and nectarines.

The first week that I brought home something other than berries was a few weeks ago. After I unpacked our produced we were faced with the daunting task of consuming 2 pounds of yellow plums before they became overripe. I searched the internet for something to do with our plums and came across a plum tart recipe. I made the tart on a Wednesday afternoon while Rex napped and he was the first to try it that night for dessert. It was quite a hit with him as well as the adults in the house.

Tonight's dinner will consist of an open-faced eggplant, tomato and mozzarella sandwich. The eggplant and tomatoes are from the co-op. We have become a bit giddy about cooking and eating our co-op produce. Planning weekly menus based on the surprises in our weekly share proves to be a fun summer activity.

I have been in the cooking doldrums for quite some time and this co-op pushed me out of it. Thankfully the co-op continues into November so my cooking skills should stay sharp. Once it is over I will have to break out the slow-cooker and hunker down for winter.

No comments: